Safety Reminders for Winter Weather
When conditions reach -20 Celsius or colder including the wind-chill factor, it is recommended that students be kept inside for recess or lunch breaks.
Final responsibility to prepare a child for inclement weather belongs to the parents/legal guardians.
We would like to provide parents a few safety reminders for winter weather conditions:
- If parents /guardians cannot ensure the safety of their children to and from school, the child should be kept at home or other arrangement made for the daily supervision of the child.
- All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high wind chills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period outdoors under any circumstance. Parents should form an emergency plan with their children, so they have clear instructions about what to do if the bus does not arrive.
- Cold weather or heavy snowfalls can result in bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Buses will run as close to schedule as possible, but delays do occur and should be expected.
- Children should be dressed appropriately for the cold weather. Unexpected mechanical problems causing buses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year.
- All CCSD schools located within the City of Calgary limits will remain open to provide a safe, warm, and secure environment for attending students.
- Children must be reminded of the proper crossing procedures when departing the bus and crossing the street at the end of the school day. Stand back a safe distance from the bus. Wait until the bus leaves the stop. Walk to the closest intersection. Cross the street only when it is safe to do so and remember to look both ways.
Parents/guardians are advised to listen to local media for updates on weather and transportation.